Prolight+Sound 2020 has been cancelled as a result of the international Coronavirus outbreak. Show organiser, Messe Frankfurt, has confirmed new dates for 2021.
Following the initial postponement of the event from March 31 to April 3 to May 26-29, organisers have now confirmed that the event will not go ahead, following guidance from German health authorities. The next edition of the show will take place from April 13-16, 2021.
A statement from Messe Frankfurt read: “On 12 March, the Hessian Ministry for Social Affairs and Integration issued general decrees prohibiting large-scale events expected to attract more than 1,000 visitors due to the background of the rapid spread of SARS CoV-2 infections. At the present time, it cannot be assumed that the current situation will have changed by the time the postponed event was to have been held. Therefore, Messe Frankfurt has decided to cancel the event. Prolight + Sound 2021 will be held from 13. to 16. April.”
- Industry responds to Coronavirus outbreak
- How the Coronavirus is affecting pro audio
- NAB 2020 cancelled
Detlef Braun, member of the executive board of Messe Frankfurt, said: “We did everything we could to hold Prolight+Sound 2020 as soon as possible after the original dates and would like to extend our thanks to the response and support from numerous companies and organisations that said they wanted to join forces with us to do so. We are very sorry to have to cancel the fair. However, we firmly believe that, under the current circumstances, this is unavoidable.”
A number of high profile pro audio exhibitors announced their withdrawal from the annual Frankfurt exhibition following the initial postponement.
Prolight+Sound is just one of many shows to have been afflicted by the Coronavirus pandemic. February’s ISE show in Amsterdam saw its audience take a significant hit as a result of the outbreak, while Las Vegas show NAB was cancelled earlier this week.
Avid also confirmed that it would no longer be holding its annual Connect conference.