Concerns over the Coronavirus has caused major disruption to the upcoming Prolight+Sound 2020 show, forcing organisers to postpone the show and some exhibitors to cancel their participation. PSNEurope outlines the key developments affecting the event.
Is Prolight+Sound still going ahead?
As it stands, Prolight+Sound is still going ahead in accordance with the newly announced dates (May 26-29), having been postponed from the original dates of March 31 to April 3.
Who has pulled out?
So far, d&b audiotechnik, Yamaha and NEXO, Allen & Heath, Martin Audio, L-Acoustics, Adamson and CODA Audio have all confirmed that they are cancelling their participation in this year’s show. Adamson and CODA Audio are the latest pro audio brands to pull out. Most have cited the logistics of the new dates as the key reasons behind their withdrawal. Adam Hall, which pulled out of the show prior to the postponement announcement, has yet to confirm if it will revise its decision, although it has told PSNEurope that is “fundamentally positive” about the new dates.
CODA Audio’s statement is as follows: “Following the postponement until late May of Prolight + Sound 2020, CODA Audio regrets that it will not have a presence at the show this year. The rearranged dates coincide with two open days at our headquarters (May 27, 28) and a VIP event already arranged to take place in Frankfurt on May 26. This clash would prevent us from delivering a high-quality experience for clients, partners and visitors to the show, especially in the light of the current situation surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak, which may yet have a wider impact on the authorities’ policy regarding large gatherings. Consequently, we have taken the decision to fully concentrate our efforts on our pre-existing much smaller CODA events.”
Allen & Heath announced their withdrawal on Twitter, stating: “With Prolight+Sound 2020 having moved to new dates, we’ve made the reluctant decision not to attend this year’s show as unfortunately the new schedule just doesn’t work for our teams.”
Adamson’s CEO Marc Bertrand said of their decision: “We didn’t come to this decision lightly, but ultimately, we had to do what we felt was best for our Adamson Network partners and end-users, as well as our employees. We wish organisers and participants the best for 2020 and look forward to returning in 2021.”
- NAB 2020 cancelled
- Avid pulls out of NAB, cancels Connect conference
- Adam Hall hints at Prolight+Sound return
- d&b audiotechnik pulls out of Prolight+Sound 2020
How is Coronavirus impacting other industry trade shows?
NAB, which was due to go ahead on April 18-22 in Las Vegas, has now been cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Avid pulled out of NAB 2020 prior to the show’s cancellation and has also confirmed that its Avid Connect conference will no longer be taking place. It also stated that it will not take part in any large gatherings for the next 60 days.
AES has hinted that AES Vienna will be cancelled and has suspended further registrations.
USITT 2020, which was to take place April 1-4 in Houston, has also been cancelled.