Top 10: this week’s most popular articles4 August 2017
Our weekly top 10 round-up features the most read stories on Pro Sound News Europe in the past seven days.
An exclusive PSNE interview topped the bill this week, where the legendary Butch Vig spoke to editor Dan Gumble about his home studio gear – and what the future holds for the role of the rock producer. Read it here.
Also totting up the page views was a look behind the scenes at last week’s single-shot Casualty episode to mark 30 years of the hospital drama. PSNE spoke to the sound team at BBC Studioworks to get the lowdown on how it was made possible. News of Hungary’s largest theatre getting a new Yamaha/Nexo sound system also proved popular, as well as Penn Elcom’s recently-launched cooler fan product that no doubt caught the attention of touring engineers facing the heat while travelling between shows across Europe.
Read the full summary below, and follow us on Twitter to get all the latest news from the pro audio industry as it happens.
1. Big Interview: Legendary producer Butch Vig talks home studio gear and the art of production
Legendary alt-rock producer Butch Vig has shaped defining records from some of the biggest bands on earth, including Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and a great many more. PSNE editor Daniel Gumble caught up with him for a look back at his glittering career, and what the future holds for the role of the rock producer…
2. ‘This is big!’: BBC crew records single-shot Casualty ep to mark 30 years of the show
Car crashes, impalements, DIY mishaps. All these – and more – have featured in BBC One’s medical emergency drama Casualty since it began in 1986. To cap its 30th series, the show has been filmed in a single shot, which provided some challenges to the sound crew…
3. Pro Sound Awards 2017 shortlist revealed!
PSNE is delighted to unveil the finalists for the prestigious 2017 Pro Sound Awards.
4. Italian pop legends College select Allen & Heath for summer tour
Renowned retro Italian pop band Collage are currently on tour with two GLD digital mixing systems from Allen & Heath.
5. Sky to ‘transform TV audio’ with new Soundbox
Sky has entered into a new partnership with audio specialist Devialet to launch the Sky Soundbox – a new system designed to “transform the TV sound experience”.
6. Hungary’s largest theatre invests in ‘excellent’ Yamaha and Nexo system
An historic Hungarian opera house has installed a Yamaha and Nexo system to suit a wider variety of performances.
7. The Vig Picture: New issue of PSNE out now
The latest issue of Pro Sound News Europe with an all-new editorial team came out on Tuesday, featuring an exclusive interview with legendary producer Butch Vig. Subscribe to the magazine here.
8. Penn Elcom launches ‘near-silent’ fan to keep equipment cool in warm weather
Loudspeaker component manufacturer Penn Elcom has launched a near-silent exhaust fan to keep equipment cool in warm conditions.
9. Peppermint condition: Abbey Road Studios in the 21st century
PSNE visits Abbey Road following the biggest changes since it all began.
10. Exclusive: New London venue gets green light – and it’s seeking a brand new sound system
A brand new 2,200 capacity London venue – the Hackney Arts Centre – has been green lighted by the local council, and the man behind the project, Auro Foxcroft, has told PSNE that it is hoping to hear “some good pitches” for its multi-purpose sound system.